Technology has been and still growing each day. Today I shall, post a blog on what I’ve learned about Cyberspace.
Cyberspace is everywhere. It is literally universal. What do I mean by everywhere, well there are telephone wires, coaxial cables, fiber-optic lines or electromagnetic waves. Other than that, the basic needs that everyone needs nowadays, the internet which consist billions of sites. Sites that was created by humans. Sites that is able to be change by the creator and we as internet users are able to gain knowledge out of it.
Other than the internet, we have televisions which is a one-way transmitter and telephones which is a two-way portal.
Now I shall tell you a bit on what some people may not realise. When you talked on a phone, do you think that no third party are able to know what conversation you are talking about and the identity of the person you are communicating with? Well if you don’t know, now you do. I shall give you an example. Say that you are involve in a very important case that involves breaking the law, the authorities which are the police are willing to go all out to solve the case and they will start by checking your phone records. They will check who you have been communicating with for the past hours before, during or after the crime happened. This is not something new, this tool has been used for quite sometime.
‘Warehouses’? Remember the type of ‘warehouse’ that was used back then, it is called a floppy disk or better known as diskette. Does it ring a bell? No? Maybe the image will help.
But now, people no longer use this kind of storage. Now people usual uses Thumb drive, External Disk and so much more. Not only the storage change, but so does the size (MB/GB) changed as well. The amount of data, movies, series, documents you can put in a storage if you buy the kind of size that you want and need is just amazing.
Now the word ‘warehouse’ don’t just stand for this but it also helps improve customer service. How? Well in internet ‘warehouse’ people now use Facebook and Twitter to help improve businesses. I noticed the type of businesses that uses this tool is usually clothing line, accessories, perfumes and many more. It updates people on new items that are already out. Handy no?
Not only this kind of line uses the social media such as Facebook, but corporate company as well like Sime Darby makes their own Facebook page. It is all about communicating and spreading the words on what the company has to offer.
In conclusion, Cyberspace comes in handy for everyone. It is still growing and it will never stop. Yes, there are pros and cons, but it is no harm if you use it in a right way.
Dyson, E, Gilder, G, Keyworth, G & Toffler, A 1994, Cyberspace and the American Dream: A Magna Carta for the Knowledge Age, accessed 29/8/2012,http://www.pff.org/issues-pubs/futureinsights/fi1.2magnacarta.html
This is my third week and I must say, the subject Global Networks is starting to get rather interesting each day. I guess in my opinion, it is rather interesting for me because I am always on the internet 24/7 and the amount of research and readings I have to do are all based about internet and are from the internet itself.
So for this third week, I’ve learned on how communications were made back then. Back when electronics wasn’t made and a bit on how the very first communication that we get instantly. Let us go back to the past a bit shall we? The very first thing that people back then use to communicate globally was a Telegraph. Prior to having a telegraph, the other solution people uses to communicate globally was through horses or pigeons. But there are cons on using those. The message may sometimes not reach on time and it might take days just to get back a respond. Another example, which I shall take from the movie Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. In order for Gondor to get help from the people of Rohan, they light a beacon and the beacon shall be lit to several other places until it reaches Rohan. From that beacon, Rohan knows that Gondor needed help for the war.
The movie may be fiction but the communication they used was real and was used back in the old days.
Back to the telegraph. Telegraph was the very first communication that we can answers instantly. Telegraph changed the world more than the internet for the internet is the progression of the Telegraph. Now I shall list down the items and years that was used to communicate globally in the past. This information is from lecture 13, Global Nervous System
1837: First commercial electric telegraph
1838: dot-dash code
1858: First trans-Atlantic cable
1895: First Radio Telegraph
It’s amazing on how modern technology is nowadays compared to the old days and I’m sure you all can see that the technology now is still growing each day. I sometimes wonder what the world will and how Global Communications would be in 10 years time and I am sure that I am not the only one that wonders about this.
Nafis, F. 2012 A Global Nervous System. August 13 [lecture] Selangor: University of Wollongong.
My name is Aryssa Fahmy and this is my first semester at Inti International College Subang Jaya. I honestly didn’t know what to expect about the subject Global Networks and I be honest, I was actually terrified when I read the subject outline. Byt after that, I find the subject interesting. My brain was still slowly trying to digest all the information possible. But I’m sure I get through it.
So based on what I’ve learned in today’s class, I shall blog about one of the reading which is Castells, M. ‘Afterword: Why Networks Matter’
Networks are powerful and it has been growing each day. Networks allow us to communicate globally and it has become part of our daily lives.
Manual Castells stated 7 reasons on why networks matter.
- Society through network is expanding rapidly and globally through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and many more. Through social network, any individual is able to communicate with each without boundaries, be friends with people from different countries, culture and so on even though they are separated by a 1000 miles.
- Business uses network to not only expand but to also communicate with their clients. How do they meet their clients without having to pay for transportation? Easy. Video conference of course. By doing so, they not only save more money and time, but at the same time they can help save the environment.
- Politicians. How do politicians get close to the people they need support from? Network of course. Most politicians have their own blogs to update their ideas on what they have in mind to make the country a better place to live in and also communicate with the people. Through blogging, the people will be able to give their feedbacks on what they think. Other than that, people can also get updated news about politics through another network, which is the news website.
- When we have no idea and in need of information, what do we do? We of course use the search engine. As for me, I always Google the information I need for it is very helpful and I know I’m not the only who see it that way. Based on what I see, the most search engine that people use for now is Google and I see no reason on why it isn’t famous. Through Google, I be able to get my work and research done and I find it not time consuming at all if you know what you have to find.
- Networks nowadays have different type of users and it is getting powerful each day compared to the past. Back in the old days, majority of people only use network just to get their job done. They used network for mails, discussion group, file transfers and so on. But now, you can see different type of users. People uses network for gaming, forum, files sharing, e-commerce and many more. All of these networks have more function and we can never get enough of it. Other than that, all of the functions I told you about won’t be the last of it. Why? Each day, you will see or hear about new technologies that are still in planning or progress or will be out soon. There is no limit in Global Network.
- Media in network. Again, because of the rapid growth of network and technologies, there are online radio, online television, online news and so. People can access to all of these, just by using the right gadgets such as smartphones, iPad, laptop and many more. Like today for the Olympics 2012,because of media network, news spread about Dato’ Lee Chong Wei who only managed to win the silver medal and managed to make sport unite one nation behind one man. Other than that, people uses E-Books instead of real books.Why? To save money of course and to avoid having to carry heavy books around.
- Last but not least, network nowadays are used for different purposes and satisfactions. Every individual like what they like. But one thing for sure, network is useful for EVERYONE.
In conclusion, network has become part of our life. I can’t imagine living a day without network. That is how important network is to me.
Castells, M (2004) ‘Afterword: why networks matter’. In Network Logic: Who governs in an interconnected world? (pp.221-224)http://www.demos.co.uk/files/File/networklogic17castells.pdf